The Eagle River Nature Center
You’ll discover the beauty of the Eagle River Valley as you begin your drive along Eagle River Road. Residential areas will give way to breathtaking views of glacially-carved mountains. At Mile 12 you will reach the log cabin nature center – a threshold for connecting to the ever-changing landscape beyond. The Nature Center is operated by a small, grass roots non-profit organization. We hope you'll visit us and take some time to enjoy the trails and programs we offer.
THE NATURE CENTER BUILDING WILL BE CLOSED FROM 3/16 THROUGH 4/14/2020 DUE TO COVID-19 CONCERNS. ALL CLASSES ARE CANCELLED. THE TRAILS REMAIN OPEN. Please help the Nature Center by paying for your parking passes. Donations are always appreciated. We encourage everyone to follow current CDC recommendations and help our community stay healthy. Thank you!
April open hours will depend on the Covid-19 situation. Closed until April 14, 2020. This closure will likely be extended through the end of the month.
May through September: Tuesday-Sunday, 10am-5pm. CLOSED MONDAYS
- Phone: 907-694-2108
- Fax: 907-694-2119
- Eagle River Nature Center 32750 Eagle River Road Eagle River, AK 99577
- 501c3 non-profit #92-0156981. Established 1996.
Parking fee: $5/vehicle. Hiking for more than a day? $10/vehicle for up to 3 days. Limited parking area for RV's and vehicles with trailers. Our overflow parking area is NOT suitable for RV's or trailers and is not open during the winter months. Please DO NOT park along Eagle River Road or side streets where "NO PARKING" is indicated - you may receive a ticket. You may park further down Eagle River Road where there are no signs.
The trails are always accessible. Trail maps are located at the front door of the Nature Center, inside when open, or on our website.
Group field classes (guided and unguided for schools, camp groups, scouts, etc) are available by appointment.
Commercial Tour Operators must have a Nature Center permit to operate here. Contact us for details.
- Volunteer Andrew Fisher has been working hard all year cleaning and making new owl nesting boxes. 2019 turned out to be a successful year. Find out more on our blog page. Thank you Andrew!
- March 2020 Program (pdf format) ALL PROGRAMS CANCELLED 3/16-3/31/2020
- April 2020 Program (pdf format) ALL PROGRAMS CANCELLED THRU 4/14/20 (likely through end of month, we'll keep you posted)
- Thank you to everyone who has supported the Dick Griffith Matching Challenge! There's still time left to have Dick match your contribution dollar for dollar.
Thank you to our very generous sponsors:
Alaska Airlines**, Alaska Community Foundation and the Trails Trees and Kids Fund**, Alaska Regional Hospital Auxiliary **, Alyeska Pipeline Service Co.**, BP*, Camp Denali **, CIRI**, ConocoPhillips*, Eagle River-Chugiak Rotary ***, GCI *** , Jeffrey and Rebecca Moore Family Foundation **, Latouche Pediatrics, MEA Charitable Trust**, REI Co-op*, Pick. Click. Give. , Rasmuson Foundation*, TOTE Maritime Alaska** and Walmart***.
* $5000 or more; **$1000-$4999; ***$500-$999