The Eagle River Nature Center
You’ll discover the beauty of the Eagle River Valley as you begin your drive along Eagle River Road. Residential areas will give way to breathtaking views of glacially-carved mountains. At Mile 12 you will reach the log cabin nature center – a threshold for connecting to the ever-changing landscape beyond. The Nature Center is operated by a small, grass roots non-profit organization. We hope you'll visit us and take some time to enjoy the trails and programs we offer.
PUBLIC NOTICE (click to left) REGARDING WORK STARTING ON NEW PARKING LOT AT THE NATURE CENTER JULY 8, 2020
New starting Friday, June 5: Staff will provide information services outside the front entrance of the Nature Center Fridays-Sundays, 11am-4pm.
THE NATURE CENTER BUILDING IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO COVID-19 SAFETY CONCERNS. ALL CLASSES ARE CANCELLED. THE TRAILS & CABIN/YURTS REMAIN OPEN. Please keep a physical distance from other hikers on the trails. Cabin/Yurt use should be limited to household members only.
There are trail maps available at the front door of the Nature Center. Staff are keeping the latrine stocked and clean in the round-about in front of the parking lot. On heavy use days, we are opening our overflow parking area (gravel road, steeper, NO RV's or trailers).
Please help the Nature Center by paying for your parking passes. Donations and memberships are always appreciated. Thank you and enjoy the outdoors!
June-August: Building is closed. Trails and cabin/yurts remain open, but please read information regarding your safety.
Staffed information desk outside front of building Friday-Sunday, 11am-4pm.
- Phone: 907-694-2108
- Fax: 907-694-2119
- Eagle River Nature Center 32750 Eagle River Road Eagle River, AK 99577
- 501c3 non-profit #92-0156981. Established 1996.
Parking fee: $5/vehicle. Hiking for more than a day? $10/vehicle for up to 3 days. Limited parking area for RV's and vehicles with trailers. Our overflow parking area is NOT suitable for RV's or trailers and is not open during the winter months. Please DO NOT park along Eagle River Road or side streets where "NO PARKING" is indicated - you may receive a ticket. You may park further down Eagle River Road where there are no signs.
The trails are always accessible. Trail maps are located at the front door of the Nature Center, inside when open, or on our website.
Group field classes (guided and unguided for schools, camp groups, scouts, etc) are available by appointment.
Commercial Tour Operators must have a Nature Center permit to operate here. Contact us for details.
- We welcome back our fabulous seasonal summer staff and volunteers: Timothy Kane, Hannah Welsch, and Tim Goral.
- Community mourns the passing of Ben Schneider.
- Congratulations to Isabella Higgins for receiving her Junior Astronomer Certificate. Great work Isabella! More on our blog.
- Volunteer Andrew Fisher has been working hard all year cleaning and making new owl nesting boxes. 2019 turned out to be a successful year. Find out more on our blog page. Thank you Andrew!
- ALL IN-HOUSE PROGRAMS ARE CANCELLED until further notice, but check our new online ZOOM programs and Friday Facebook Little Explorers.
- Thank you to everyone who has supported the Dick Griffith Matching Challenge and Pick Click Give.
Thank you to our very generous sponsors:
Alaska Airlines**, Alaska Community Foundation and the Trails Trees and Kids Fund**, Alaska Regional Hospital Auxiliary **, Alyeska Pipeline Service Co.**, BP*, Camp Denali **, CIRI**, ConocoPhillips*, Eagle River-Chugiak Rotary ***, GCI *** , Jeffrey and Rebecca Moore Family Foundation **, Latouche Pediatrics, MEA Charitable Trust**, REI Co-op*, Pick. Click. Give. , Rasmuson Foundation*, TOTE Maritime Alaska** and Walmart***.
* $5000 or more; **$1000-$4999; ***$500-$999